Monday, May 24, 2010

Milestones, Mother's Day, and Ma-ma

My first Mother's Day was more than I could have asked for.  All of it was made possible by my wonderful husband and sweet little girl.  My first gift came the day before Mother's Day when Milana crawled up to me, tapped me on the arm, looked me in the eye and said "ma-ma".  I am not usually one of those mushy women who cry at everything but I have to say I was blubbering for a while.  On Mother's Day, Milana got me another bead for my bracelet that was started before she was born.  David got me a beautiful pair of diamond earrings to celebrate my first Mother's Day and made me a fabulous dinner.  Well enough about me, onto the reason I get to celebrate Mother's Day for many years to come.




The last time I blogged about Milana's milestones she was just learning to crawl.  Today she is ten months old and has learned so much in the last two months.  She is at full crawl now and is following me around where ever I go.  She can pull herself up to a stand on various pieces of furniture.  She likes to hold on to said furniture and do squats.  She is going to have the strongest legs in the neighborhood.  She is feeding herself with her hands and has acquired a taste for more adult food.  Some of her favorites are pasta, green beans, mandarin oranges, grilled cheese, cheese, pancakes, french toast, polenta, carrots, mommies broccoli soup and the ever popular German soft pretzel.  Tonight we are going to try mommies chicken and noodles.  Her new found interest in adult food makes it interesting to try and find food for her to eat.



Milana has been a very lucky little girl in that she has not been sick until 10 months old.  She has a mild case of bronchitis. It doesn't seem to slow her down at all.  Milana is now in daycare since mommy has gone back to work.  She enjoys going each day and is happy to see us when we pick her up.  I think she is learning a lot from the older kids on how to use her legs and feet.  Her daycare mother only speaks German which is good motivation for mommy to keep learning more German.  I know there are many arguments about if women should work or stay home and take care of the little ones.  For me and my family, it is important that I go back to work not only for the extra money but more importantly because we are living in a different country.  Working and interacting in the German culture will help me raise her while living here.  Many things are the same but many things are different as well.  The more knowledge that I gain will help her in the long run.  I miss her throughout the day but I know I get to see her at the end.  So to all the moms out there, I say, do what is best for you and your family and don't let others influence your decision one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment