Sunday, August 16, 2009

2009 The Year of Big Changes

So I have never written on a blog before, but so many exciting things have happened to David and myself in the past few months that I felt this would be the best way to share it with everyone who is interested. That being said, lets start from the beginning of the year.

2009 started out with a big decision for us both to make. David and I were given the opportunity to live and work in Germany. So after about six months of weighing the pros and the cons before hand, we decided that we could not let a chance like this pass us by and make the move to Germany. So we accepted the positions and planned to make the big transition later in the year.

Excited about our big move, we weren't expecting more exciting news to come our way. About a month after accepting our jobs in Germany, I discovered I was expecting our first child. Needless to say we were taken by surprise, happy but very surprised. Now do we still go to Germany? We then decided it would be in our best interests to continue with our plans to move to Germany.

By the time we moved over to Germany, I was about seven months pregnant and feeling it. We had already found out we were having a little girl and had a name picked out. Everything though the pregnancy had been smooth sailing until about two weeks after we arrived in Germany. The baby was doing great, I on the other hand, was not. I won't go into the details, but the doctors over in Germany were discussing taking her early via c-section if I got much worse.

I managed to make it until my 33rd week. I had be up all night with pain and what felt like the worse stomach flu I have ever had. By the time six am came around, I was waking David up to go to the hospital. I had a hard time walking and even getting my clothes on. I was already scheduled to have more testing done that day and a decision was going to be made of when I should have a c-section. I guess when we got to the hospital they took one look at me and it was decided that our little girl needed to be born today.

I was prepped and in surgery by eleven in the morning. I was so terrified I could not stop shaking. I guess I have a fear of operating rooms or the fact that I was going to be awake for this or maybe the last thing I heard was that David was not going to be in there with me because he was afraid he would pass out. Although when I rolled over from getting the big long needle in my back, there he was in scrubs and a mask. I think having him there made all the difference in the world.

Milana Helen Presken was born on July 24 at 12:03pm in Heidelberg, Germany. She weighed about 4.1 lbs and was 16.7 inches long. She was healthy and everything checked out fine, she was just early. I started to slowly recover too. My stay was about a week in the hospital. Milana stayed for two and a half weeks until she gained enough weight and ate her bottles with out a feeding tube. She got to come home with us last Wednesday.

So this blog starts when she is about three weeks old. Hopefully it will be another way for our relatives and friends to get updates on our adventures in Germany and parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment